Sunday, January 17, 2010

A Citizen and Voter

This post is a little different. I wanted to explicitly state what each and every citizen should expect of government and society when it comes to the political scene.

1) Each citizen should vote. If you don't vote, you don't get to complain.
2) Each citizen will research his choices for voting. This is not something to take lightly, each time you punch a button or connect a line, you are giving somebody the power to make decisions for you.
3) Each citizen will let his representatives know if they are doing good or bad. Write letters, it works.
4) Each citizen makes up his or her own mind, don't let your neighbor, co-worker, a daytime talk host, news anchor, preacher, parent, or graffiti on the street make up your mind. Make up your own mind, be your own person.
5) The press is there to provide information and to ensure that there is transparency in government. They are not there to be popular. They are not there to try to shape the debate of society. They provide a service, and to be honest, they need to do a better job.
6) There is only one special interest, me. There is the common good, and the need to have an honest and fair government, but what affects me first is what I base most of my decisions on. I occasionally give money to the heart association, the united way, or the NRA. I do this to help them work within society, not to wine and dine representatives in order to sway their vote.
7) My representative is a leader, not a follower.
8) The government works for me.
9) My hard work, and contributions to society make it a better place, I expect my government to respect that and build on it, not use it for target practice, literally, or legislatively.
10) Compromise is key to solving problems. More on that in another post
11) This country is for citizens, don't spend my tax money, or make laws that encourage or inspire illegal immigration
12) Safety of this country and freedom of it's citizens are paramount.

How is that for a good even dozen?

No comments:

Post a Comment